So I thought I was about time I reviewed another cheap hotel here on the blog. The hotel I decided to go for is the Barcelo Cardiff which is a 4 star AA attested hotel located on Castle road about half a mile from the city centre. The main reason I went for this hotel is the price with rooms at £65 during the week around £10 - £15 more during the weekend. There are cheaper rooms available across the city but I do feel that for a genuine 4 star place these prices are very reasonable, after all it’s about value for money too and not just price for me.
Another plus point for this hotel is the location as its situated right between the millennium stadium and Cardiff castle which are two of the most visited attractions in the Cardiff. The hotel itself is a Victorian building dating back to 1883 and it’s been restored to a very high standard, the outside of the building is particularly impressive. Also the hotel does seem to have quite a long list of facilities including:
- Free wifi
- Air con in all rooms (not sure how much you’ll need this in Cardiff!)
- Onsite car parking (not free though)
- Satellite TV
I suppose the above is really just to prove that it is a genuine 4 star place and not just one of those “self certified” hotels of dubious quality. It all brings me back to price though as I really think you will struggle to find the same facilities in Cardiff for less than £80 per night, so the weekday £65 rate seems like a real bargain.
On the subject of ratings I was thinking about reviewing somewhere else, the Regan Lodge on Cathedral road. Regan is actually a guesthouse and not a hotel plus even though its 4 star too its “self classified” which always makes me wonder. However for price it does seem hard to beat as it’s only around £40 a night so I thought it might be worth a mention.
So that’s it for the first review in a while, hopefully one of the two places will suit your needs. Personally I think the extra £20 a night for Barcelo compared to Regan is going to be worth it, you are on holiday after all! Come back soon as I have more hotel reviews on the way.
It doesn’t really matter what type of discount accommodation you are looking for either in Cardiff or Wales as a whole the most important thing is to look at the main facilities a hotel has and also its location and not just the star rating. Many people do not realise but alot of hotels these days award their own star rating based on what level they think the hotel is at. With this in mind im going to list below a few of the best deals that are available for the city. Although the hotels chosen are at the cheaper end of the scale they are not the very cheapest available as i believe you should not have to compromise and quality to such as large extent as so i dont usually recommend 2 star accommodation.
- Park Inn Cardiff North is as the name suggests situated in the north of the city and is about 3 miles from the centre. This is a genuine 3 star hotel ie they are not self certified which i think is always a good thing. Rooms start at around £50 per night which i think represents very good value for anyone on a budget. One of the best and most surprising things about the hotel is that all guests have free access to the gym and swimming pool which is definitely a rare perk for any type of accommodation in this category.
- Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff is a hotel situated much closer to the city centre than our last hotel as its only about half a mile from the main district. As such it is more expensive and you can expect to pay around £55 per night for a standard double (according to Ceri). The hotel is definitely more compact than others and has a kind of urban apartment feel. There arnt too many free extras with this place but you do get wifi and free international calls with the room. This is a 3 star hotel and is certified at this rating by the Welsh Tourist Board which is nice.
- The Best Western St Mellons Hotel has a good reputation as a hotel chain primarily as it has good hotels all over the country and whilst i do think that big hotel chains can feel slightly too corporate sometimes i don’t think this is the case here. A standard double will set you back between £60-70 and i think this represents a pretty cheap deal for a hotel in category. While it is not located close to the city centre it does have impressive surroundings with large gardens and also a spa and gym on the premises.
As you can see there is a very wide range of deals on cheap and budget accommodation in the capital city of Wales. The type of hotel and price you are going to pay really does depend on what your requirements are and most important what type of location you want as i believe location is one of the most important factors in any type of accommodation search. With this in mind work out want you are looking for first and choose wisely.